Wednesday 1 February 2006

Cullen Skink

Now this is recipe for a world famous soup that originated in the village i am from :o) There are variations to it in some of the posh restaurants but this is the proper recipe for it and has been handed down my family for donkeys years...It's the way most people from my village make it

Cullen Skink

Ingredients

½ or 1 whole smoked haddock each (filleted & skinned)

1 onion

approx. 1 pint of milk (depends how many you're making for)

knob of marg or butter

salt & pepper to taste

Enough potatoes for everyone

Method

Stew the fish and diced onion in a little marg or butter for about 20 mins...Then add the milk and season to taste and bring to boiling point over a low heat...Once boiling remove from the heat as the milk might curdle...At same time peel and boil the potatoes in a seperate pan...Serve the soup straight away with the potatoes added to it.

Now sometimes my mum would mash the tatties and add them to the soup that way and as that made it thicken up really quick she had to add more milk...Mum was also really nice and put the onion in whole as i can't eat onion because it gives me migraines...It's a very simple recipe that i have seen made complicated by putting leaks and other veg in as well <sigh> It tastes delicious the way it is so why spoil it LOL...The fish itself is already salty enough so you really need either no salt added or very little...The best smoked haddock to use is not the bright yellow dyed kind but proper pale smoked haddock.

I'll put another recipe of mums in another day...It's a weird one and called sea pie but it's another soup and not actually a pie LOL.

Enjoy xx

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

or as the rest opf tghe country calls it Cullen Stink! ;)

Anonymous said...

Please do Caff, I like the sound of that one. Rache xx

Anonymous said...

Thanks I've printed this off ........are you the Scottish equivalant of Delia ?lol ......Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Ooo, my mum used to make that, didn't call it Cullen Sink though :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Caff, I used to go with my Grandad to buy smoked haddock as a small child, I called it the yellow fish!  I remember the smell of it cooking and it tasted delicious...yummy!  :o)

Sandra xxx