Thursday 26 June 2008

Not a lot

G as you may or may not know has a serious phobia of buttons...In the past this hasn't been too much of a problem but at the age he is now it is big time...He can't wear a shirt or a dressed mens jacket...I have managed to buy a shirt today that studs up and will look ok with a tie but in the main studding shirts are very casual looking...For trousers what i have managed to do since he was 13 is to replace the plastic button with a jeans type one...So trousers aren't a problem but a jacket is a serious problem...So today i have enrolled on an occasional wear design course at the local college...It's one day a week but the aug-jan one is full up...I have managed to get the last place on the feb - june one and put my name on the waiting list for the earlier one...Sounds awful but fingers crossed someone will drop out...I have asked some tailoring places here but they're not interested or going to charge an arm and a leg...I had phoned to see about the kilt making course and my name is on waiting list for it now...The woman i spoke to is head of the fashion & textiles dept...She said the woman who takes the occasional wear course is a very experienced dressmaker and is interested in things like this...The occasional wear course is the one where you learn about pattern cutting and pattern designing...Now am thinking a design similar to double breasted gents suit jacket but with a zip instead of buttons...I do think i would rather do this myself than get someone else to do it...You never know he may get asked where he got his jacket because it is cool LOL...Then he can say 'it's designer' but i can get the 'designer' to do one for you LOL

My youngest niece has a 'prom' next week...They're doing them now for moving from primary to secondary school!!!!...So my sis has asked me to do some jewellery for her to wear...So i need to get cracking on that tonight...Apart from that things have been pretty quiet...Next week is M's last week at school...Mon is their awards ceremony, tues sports day, wed street jammin!!!, thurs they are going to climb a local hill and fri is his leavers lunch/party thing...He starts college full time on 25th aug...Well full time isn't what it used to be as they have at least 1 full day off a week...Am still concerned about the level he will be working at and i don't want him getting bored...At a meeting last night i more or less demanded that he does Int 1 maths and Int 1 information technology or whatever computing is called...The woman in charge was saying some can move on to mainstream courses after the 1st year of the SEN course...I asked and how can they do that when they don't do proper qualifications that are needed to do the courses...Actually i find her extremely patronising and said this to another mum i knew at the meeting...Honestly you'd have thought we were all 2 year olds the way she spoke to us...Now it doesn't matter what level of ability the students have they shouldn't be spoken to that way...I find that so condescending...Anyways going to watch more tennis and do necklace, earrings and bracelet for my neice

Toodle pip tc xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The course sounds fab, hope someone dos drop out for you. Last week at school eh? Nathan was 10 today, where does time go?

Anonymous said...

Good for you signing up for this course.  I bought a new sewing machine just before last Christmas (to make aprons for my girls' Xmas hampers) and I fully intend to go to nightschool in September so that I can make clothes.  When I was in the 5th Form at school and the other girls were making reversible coats I made a felt ball - and even that turned out more oval than round and it was so hard it would have broken the catcher's fingers if I'd thrown it.  Anyways, after next year reversible coats will be easy peasy  :O)))

Anonymous said...

The course sounds great Caff, I hope you get a place. It must be really difficult for G and it`s great that you are trying to find a way to help him. You never know you might be Scotland`s next great find in the world of fashion!


Love Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

It sounds great Caff, you're never idle, always doing something so good luck with someone cancelling.  Those suites they wore in the Space 1999 series were quite stylish, smart looking and no buttons just zips. Rache

Anonymous said...

Proms??  I never had that when I was in school!!!  Good luck and I hope you get on the earlier course.  Sounds like a great idea :o)

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife